This beautiful Maple Apple Frangipane Tart is a delight classic autumn dessert with the crispy yet melt-in-your-mouth crust, warm flavor of maple syrup and vanilla bean paste, meeting the fruit of the season, juicy tart baking apple, and soft custard-like almond fillings.
8 tablespoons butter, softened
6 tablespoons Maple syrup plus 1 tablespoon Java Sisters Maple vanilla paste, combined (it has gorgeous vanilla specks in it)
1 egg yolk
1 cup (125g) almond meal
¼ cup (35g) plain flour
1 Pinklady apple or Honeycrisp, halved, cored, cut into 2mm wedges
Cooking oil spray
Maple shortcrust pastry
100g cold butter, diced
1¼ cups plain flour
¼ cup Maple syrup plus 1 tablespoon Java Sisters maple vanilla paste
1 apple granny smith
1 apple Pinklady, Red Gala or Honeycrisp
couple dolloped of crème fraiche or vanilla ice cream
- To make maple syrup shortcrust pastry, place butter and flour in a food processor and process until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Add syrup and process until mixture just forms a ball. (You may need to add up to 2 tsp extra syrup, until dough comes together.) Shape dough into a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hr.
- Place pastry between two sheets of baking paper and roll out until 3mm thick. Use to line base and sides of a .75 inch-deep,8 or 9 inch loose-based tart pan with. Use a small, sharp knife to trim edges. Chill for 30 mins.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line pastry case with baking paper and fill with baking weights, rice or dried beans. Blind bake for 15 mins. Remove baking paper and weights, and bake for 7-10 mins, until pastry browns lightly. Cool completely.
- To make frangipane filling, using an electric mixture and a large bowl, beat butter and maple and agave syrup until combined. Add egg yolk and beat to combine. Add almond meal and flour, and beat to combine. Spoon mixture into pastry case. Smooth surface. Keep the apple slices together as you thinly slice them. Place the whole section on top of the frangipane and press down to fan the slices out. Continue placing apple slices tightly together slightly on top of each other until the tart is filled.
slices, keep them and spray with oil.
- Bake tart for 30 mins, until frangipane is set and lightly browned. While still warm, brush with extra maple syrup. Cool slightly. Serve tart warm or at room temperature.
Chef Lexi is the sweet baker, recipe developer, and photographer behind this stunning Maple Apple Frangipane Tart recipe.
Lexi loves inspiring others to create because, for her, everything is possible! She believes you are the only one to limit the endless boundaries set by your imagination! Her goal in life is to teach others how to bake and have them find their creative spark in the kitchen. She wants you to help her help us become the best we can be!
Aside from her gentle spirit, she enjoys watercolor painting, nature, and the arts. Bring her a Creme Brûlée, I bet you can put a smile on her face and her favorite place is Cherry Springs Park in Pennsylvania, the best place to look at the stars! Oh! she can be quirky too, she likes taking a huge piece of Saran Wrap and having it cover her chef coat so she can walk to whatever she's wrapping without it getting tangled up! Check out her beautiful art-like sweet creations on her Instagram page @oatmilkshortbread.