Shortbread Cookies are a deliciously buttery treat that is really easy to make! Dipped or drizzled in an amazing Vanilla Bean Glaze, these cookies make a perfect snack or desert for the cool weather!
Stacy, our friend came up with this delicious shortbread cookies with vanilla bean glaze recipe with some beautiful photos to help you make them yourself.
Shortbread Cookie Ingredients
How to Make Shortbread Cookies
- Beat butter and sifted powdered sugar until smooth. Add vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- Slowly add in flour and salt. Mix until just combined but don’t overmix.
- Form the dough into a disc shape if doing cut out cookies or roll into a log form for slice and bake cookies.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour. This ensures the butter hardens so the cookies hold their shape.
- Once chilled, roll out the dough into 1/4-1/2 inch thickness using a rolling pin. Use desired shaped cookie cutters to cut out the dough. Use a spatula to transfer them to the cookie sheet. Or slice into rounds if doing slice and bake.
- Place on prepared cookie sheet and bake 12-15 minutes for 1/4 inch and add extra time for 1/2 inch. Bake until just barely golden on the bottom. (Cook time will depend on thickness).
- Let cookies cool before glazing.
Ingredients in Vanilla Bean Glaze
How to Make the Vanilla Bean Glaze
- In a medium bowl or mixing bowl, add powdered sugar and milk or water. For a thicker glaze use 1-2 tbsp of liquid.
- Cut the vanilla bean lengthwise using a knife. Hold open the pod, then holding one side of the vanilla bean scrape out the seeds using the knife. Place the seeds in the bowl.
- Whisk the glaze until smooth.
- Dip cookies into the glaze or drizzle glaze over top of the cookies. Allow 1-2 hours for the glaze to set and harden.
Use Leftover Vanilla Bean Pod
Don’t throw away the vanilla bean pod! Here are some ideas from Stacy on how to use the leftover vanilla bean pod:
- Vanilla simple syrup. Simmer water, sugar, and the pod in a small saucepan.
- Coffee creamer or milk.
- Vanilla sugar. Add the pod to granulated sugar to infuse flavor. It can be used in coffee, tea, and baked goods.
- Infused in liquor. Place in a bottle of rum, bourbon, vodka, etc.
- Vanilla extract. Let pod soak in a bottle of vodka for a couple of months.
- Bath salts. Mix with epsom salt for a relaxing great smelling bath.
Many thanks to Stacy who developed this perfect Shortbread Cookies With Vanilla Bean Glaze recipe.
Stacy lives in Colorado with her husband, two little girls, and a dog named Luna. She is the recipe creator, photographer, and writer of Home Sweet Table. Things she loves; being creative, morning coffee, and desserts. Check out the full article the Shortbread Cookies With Vanilla Bean Glaze recipe on her blog.